“And what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do. For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” -2 Corinthians 11:12-15
Previously I looked at the New Apostolic Reformation, its history and starting point, some of the doctrine that they espouse, and the rapid transformation and expansion of the movement over the past two decades. This movement has begun to creep into churches of almost every denomination around the globe, primarily though the avenue of music. The bands look very nice, the artists are talented, and the music is deeply moving and is designed to invoke listeners emotions. Our young people, in line with what our culture tells them is attractive, have embraced the desire to be entertained, with little or no thought as to the danger that awaits them. They find purpose and acceptance in this movement, and cultivate a carnal love for what the leaders of the New Apostolic Reformation tell them they can attain, unlimited prosperity, blessing, and spiritual gifts await them in this earthly life if only they would have enough faith. Some of the young people who have fallen prey to this movement either by deception or by choice, may not even fully understand what is truly lies behind its ideology.
It is beneficial to understand the absurdity of this movement, and realize the difficulty some of its leaders have to even appear sane. The behavior and much of the teaching is so AU-Biblical that it often times defies comprehension. This is either one of the largest human frauds of all time, likely fueled by the motivation for financial gain, or it is something much darker and takes its influence directly from the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Meet Heidi Baker, longtime friend and fellow self proclaimed prophet of NAR leaders Bill and Beni Johnson, co pastors of Bethel Church in Redding, Ca.
Heidi Baker grew up in Southern California and claims that she was converted to Christianity at the age of 16 on a Choctaw Indian reservation in Mississippi, after hearing a Navajo preacher’s message. She currently works as a missionary living and spreading her unique brand of theology in Mozambique, a country located in Southeast Africa. She along with her husband Rolland, have been in the country since 1995 primarily working with impoverished and orphaned children. Heidi received her vision to feed thousands of children, apparently directly from Christ, after she claims that she was miraculously healed from tuberculosis and pneumonia in 1996. She also claims that she received direct revelation from God “to go to the lowest place” which apparently ended up being Mozambique. Coincidentally, the continent of Africa is one of the hardest hit locations in the world with the export of America’s brand of Prosperity Gospel and New Apostolic Reformation Theology. Heidi has made tremendous claims of supernatural and miraculous events happening through her ministry in Mozambique which conveniently always lack physical proof due to the fact that she is working in a third world country. The compromised Christian Broadcast Network wrote an article praising the Bakers and their work in Mozambique, and included this statement which shows the of the brazenness of Heidi and Rolland Baker’s claims:
Just days before she arrived in Cincinnati, Baker prayed for two blind beggars who wandered into her tent meeting at her base in Pemba, Mozambique. Both men instantly received their sight after Baker wet her fingers with saliva and touched their eyes.
Such astounding miracles are common to Heidi and Rolland. They have seen God supernaturally multiply rice and chili to feed hungry orphans. Heidi has watched paralytics walk for the first time after they received prayer. And indigenous pastors the Bakers trained in Mozambique have raised 53 people from the dead so far.
She is claiming to have accomplished some of the same miracles that Jesus Christ performed during His earthly ministry. Heidi Baker’s network in Africa has ties to the apostolic ministry network of John Arnott, and they are two of several several self appointed apostles in the Revival Alliance. Her and her husband Rolland also oversee their own ministry, Iris Global, considered to be one of the largest and most successful apostolic movements in Africa today. To help understand better their associations and involvement the New Apostolic Movement, I’ll leave off with this statement that Che Ahn made in 2012:
“In 2005, Bob Jones prophesied to Heidi and Rolland Baker to form a new network that would be the container for the one billions souls coming in. He named John and Carol Arnott, Bill and Beni Johnson, Randy and Deanne Clark along with Sue and me among those to be involved. God also revealed Georgian and Winnie Banov’s involvement as we all met together to pray and strategize.
The baby was born around Easter in 2006 where we came together and formed the Revival Alliance. God lead us to map out the world and our respective areas of greatest strength at that time: The Bakers, Africa; the Arnotts, Canada and Europe; the Johnsons, Australia, New Zealand and the USA; the Banovs, Eastern Europe, and HIM in Asia and India.”
Next up we have Georgian and Winnie Banov, referred to as the “joy apostles” on their ministry website.
Georgian Banov grew up in Eastern Europe under the oppressive communist regime before escaping and being granted asylum in the United States. After arriving in America Georgian claims to have been converted to Christianity by “Jesus people” on the streets of Los Angeles. He met Winnie in Bible school and they were married and ordained together a short time later.
In 1989 communism fell in Eastern Europe and Georgian and Winnie began a 10 year apostolic revival and harvest ministry in Bulgaria. They became extremely active in social justice and their own website Global Celebration gives an update on what they are involved with after their time in Bulgaria:
“This fresh flow of the Holy Spirit brought different people groups around the Banovs. As a result they are currently in the midst of the largest move of God among Gypsies in Europe as recognized by the BBC World Report. But this was only the starting point.
As Georgian and Winnie often say, “It’s a funny thing about the love of God. His love expands, it opens new doors and it builds. His love is unstoppable and always makes room for more.” As the Banovs have continued to travel the world ministering, they find themselves coming into partnership with others who share the same compassion for the poorest of the poor. As doorways to other nations have opened to them, they have also discovered that they can’t easily say the word “no.”
While this has caused the Banovs to launch and support many of their own projects around the world, they’ve also found themselves connected by the heartstrings to some amazing field partners. Field partners are the ‘real deals’ all around the globe who are full of love and joy, faithfully doing the work of Jesus. They are already experienced and efficient on the ground but need Rescue the One to help liaise with donors and partners, raise funds for projects or even provide pastoral and administrative support.
As a result, there are now several orphanages directly under the Banovs’ care in Nicaragua and India, plus five Global Celebration sponsored child rescue centers in Southeast Asia (Burma, Thailand and Cambodia). They have also adopted the entire first grade class (200 students) in Mozambique and have committed to pay for their meals, education, school uniforms and supplies all the way through to the twelfth grade. Rescue the One also actively supports partners and friends who rescue children from temple prostitution in India, and from the sex trade industry in Thailand and in the Philippines, and from the drug cartels in Mexico.
Aside from social justice they often speak at conferences and events promoting the miracles, signs and wonders of the NAR movement.
This is an exert from a conference that they headlined at in June of 2012 in Michigan:
There is a magnificent power that flows from The Cross.
You are invited to join us for supernatural love and high energy joy as we explore the life of freedom, healing and miracles that Jesus paid for in full.
Our Heavenly Father has more than enough to meet your needs. He sent His Son Jesus so that we might have abundant life — He has provided an “out-of-all-proportion” solution to every problem you will ever face through Christ’s loving sacrifice on Calvary.
What kind of breakthrough are you in need of?
Physical? Emotional? Financial?
This is your hour to shine, and we believe that this gathering is a divine appointment. The costly price for your breakthrough and victorious living has been lovingly paid for, in full, and the barriers blocking you are going to fall away and disappear like the walls of Jericho.
Finally we’ll look at Bill and Beni Johnson and some of the practices with which they are involved, and promote from within their church in Redding, Ca. Bethel church is recognized by many as an un-official spearhead to the New Apostolic Movement. This short video will help to shed a bit of light onto the ideologies that the Johnson’s hold to.
Bill Johnson has been heavily influenced by John Wimber and recieved much of his inspiration for his current theological standpoint from the Toronto Blessing in 1995. Bill and Beni started Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry 3 years later in 1998 to “train up a generation that walks in revival culture.” This is a post from Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry that shows some of the bizarre principles that they are teaching their students, and other NAR followers:
10 Ways to Be Activated in the Supernatural – BSSM School Planting
You are a light to the world! You are “a city that is set on a hill [that] cannot be hidden” (Matthew 5:14). Indeed, you are not called to hide the love, power, and freedom that is inside you. Instead, you are destined to shine brightly so the world can see your good works and bring glory to your Father in heaven.
Today, we want to share ten activations that will help your students grow in their relationships with the Holy Spirit and reveal the light of the kingdom. These activation’s will challenge them to develop spiritual gifts and usher them into powerful encounters with God.
As your students step out in risk, remind them that nothing is impossible with God (Matthew 19:26). May they be led to shine brightly in your city!
- Drive-Thru Prayer: Set up a prayer station with a group of friends near a gas station or mall. Make signs inviting people to come receive free prayer from your group, all while sitting in their cars. Be led by the Holy Spirit to pray for individuals’ needs, receive words of knowledge, or share the gospel.
- Telephone Prophecy: Gather a group of friends and pick one person to prophesy over. Have one person write down a prophetic word for the person without showing it the rest of the group. Ask a different person in the group to read the prophetic word and dance it over them. Next, have another person write down an interpretation of the dance without showing the rest of the group. Ask a different person to draw the person’s written interpretation of the dance. Finally, have someone in the group write down an interpretation of the drawing. Review each phase of the activation and have each person share their part. Take time as a group to reflect and share how the Holy Spirit built upon the original word.
- Tattoo Interpretation: Take a friend to the beach, a park, or the mall and look for people with tattoos. When someone is highlighted to you, ask if you can interpret the meaning of their tattoo. Without making the person uncomfortable, take a few seconds to ask the Holy Spirit for the prophetic meaning of the tattoo and a word of encouragement to share with them. Share what you hear, using language they can relate to. If the person is open, ask if you can pray for them.
- Receipt Acronym: The next time you are at a restaurant, find out the name of your waiter or waitress. When you receive your receipt, write down that person’s name vertically on the back. Ask God for a word or phrase for each letter in the person’s name that represents their unique identity, personality, gifts, passions, etc. While being sensitive to the person’s work time, share what you felt like God was saying about them as a word of encouragement.
- Song of Breakthrough: With a group, pick one person to be activated. Stand in a circle around the person. Invite them to sing a song of breakthrough over another person in the group that the Holy Spirit is highlighting. The song could be a prophetic word, prayer, or whatever He highlights. After that person sings their song, have the recipient stand in the center and sing a song of breakthrough over another person in the group. Continue this activation until each person has an opportunity to sing and receive. Take time as a group to share what each person experienced and received during the activation.
- Mirror Ministry: Grab a tall mirror in your house and a group of friends. Invite each person to look directly at themselves in the mirror. If there are any areas (e.g. physical quality, personality, etc.) that the person doesn’t like about themself, invite the person to share that struggle with the group. Encourage them to ask the Holy Spirit what the truth is about that area. Then ask the person to declare the truth over that area. For example, if a woman doesn’t think she is beautiful, have her look in the mirror and declare, “I am beautiful.” Invite others in the group to share positive declarations about the person, releasing freedom and wholeness.
- Prayer Tracking: Ask God to highlight a leader in your city that He wants you to pray for. Also, ask for words of knowledge about them (e.g. birthday, background, hobbies, passions, prayer needs, etc.). Write down what He shares with you and then take time to research to see if your words of knowledge are correct. Record what the Holy Spirit highlights to you about the leader as you research and begin praying for the leader. Watch news or social media for reports on the leader over the next six months and see God answer your prayers and confirm what He showed you. If you feel led, write the leader an encouraging letter or send them a gift.
- Giving Gifts: With a group, write down each person’s name on a piece of paper and put the names into a bowl. Tell the group to ask the Holy Spirit what “gift” He wants them to give to someone else in the group. The gift could be a word of encouragement, a healing testimony, financial breakthrough, specific anointing, etc. Have each person pick a name from the bowl, give their gift to that person, and pray over the recipient. Each person should have the opportunity to give and receive a gift. Take time as a group to share what each person received.
- One-Minute Preach: With a group, ask each person to write down a random object. Place the pieces of paper into a bowl. Using a timer, have each person pick a paper and quickly develop a one-minute message to preach that involves the object on the paper. After 30 seconds of preparation, invite the person to share their message with the group. Celebrate each person as they step out to share a powerful word!
- Healing Drawing: Invite your friends on a city outreach. Before the outreach, collect paper and utensils to use for drawing and then ask the Holy Spirit what physical problems He wants to heal. Draw pictures of Him healing those specific problems. Also, ask Him for clues to recognize the person that needs that specific healing. As you go on your outreach, use your drawings and clues to find the people God wants to touch. Share your drawing with them what you felt God was saying. Ask if you can pray for them. Watch God use your creativity to bring healing to them.
This is not something that should be taken lightly and regardless of whether or not you take this seriously, I can assure you that the New Apostolic Reformation is not here to play games. They are deadly serious and they are on a global mission to win converts and spread their system of beliefs. Do not be blinded by your own complacency. I’ll leave off with this last video, Dr. MacAruthur gives a helpful and concise description of the NAR and the implications of their ideology.
“Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” -2 Timothy 4:2-4